School of Motion is looking for an experienced full-time Controller to develop, implement, analyze and optimize accounting systems and run the day-to-day financials for a small but quickly growing company.
School of Motion is looking to add a Controller to our growing team. This is a role in a fast-moving, tech-enabled company that will require you to have a high-level understanding of financial planning, cash flow analysis, forecasting, and account reconciliation. In this position you will be responsible for ensuring the efficiency of day-to-day operations and financials. This position will report to the COO.
The primary responsibilities for this position include:
- AP, AR, Vendor Payouts, and Payroll
- Calculating, dispersing and tracking of product royalties based on actual accrued expenses per product
- Reconciliation of all bank accounts daily, monthly, and as needed
- Ownership of the Chart of Accounts in Quickbooks Online
- Understanding generally accepted accounting practices and procedures, and leveraging this knowledge in the creation of School of Motion’s accounting processes
- Coordination with coworkers and department managers to ensure accurate categorization of all expenses
- Quarterly and ad hoc Cash Flow Analyses, Forecasting, Budgets, and general financial health reports
- Ability to recognize that a task or project is needed to help propel School of Motion forward, and willingness to lend a hand whenever and however possible
This role is being created due to company growth — and as the first Finance Department hire, represents a rewarding and high-responsibility opportunity.
The right person for this role will be eager to develop the process and procedures for School of Motion’s financials and have recent first-hand professional experience establishing the accounting functions of a small business.
To succeed in this role, you must be:
- Able to demonstrate from a recent position examples of concrete analytical problem-solving skills
- Confident in creating and explaining various financial reports to members of company management who do not have a financial background
- Experienced in creating quarterly forecasting and budgets in conjunction with the CEO and COO
- Proactive in problem solving and comfortable collaborating with team members and asking for help/clarification
- Familiar with digital tools such as Slack, Zoom, Notion and Airtable, and/or comfortable learning new apps
- Managing vendors
- Creating tax calculations and estimated payments
- Working on a remote team with employees and contractors located in different time zones across the country and world
- Working for a small company whose plans may change quickly
- Working for a tech or tech-enabled startup and, preferably, an e-commerce platform
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or similar field and/or CPA certification and 5 years of relevant experience.
We have a flexible work schedule at School of Motion — the company runs on a standard Monday through Friday/ET schedule; however, employees are not required to be at their workstation from 9 to 5 each and every day. We ask that our employees maintain a work schedule appropriate for themselves and their respective teams, as well as take time off as needed. We believe that regular communication, effective workflows and setting and reliably hitting goals are key to non-conventional work hours.
- Provide a resume or curriculum vitae outlining your financial management experience
- Include a link to your LinkedIn profile
- Write us a letter explaining why you’d be the best fit for School of Motion
- Share a screenshot of your internet speed from speedtest.net
- Share a link to (a) your favorite financial meme, and (b) a social media account that inspires you (e.g., Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter)
- Include some information on something you’re currently excited about learning, and how you’re learning it
Note: We welcome video cover letters, in lieu of a written letter.
About School of Motion:
At School of Motion we’re trying to reinvent the way students learn online by combining the best parts of a traditional brick-and-mortar school with technology that allows our students to receive elite Motion Design training from anywhere in the world. Our mission is to break down the barriers to learning, mastering, and working in Motion Design. We currently have ten comprehensive courses, over 5,000 Alumni, dozens of Teaching Assistants, and a small team of full-time staff working diligently to keep everything running! And this is only the beginning...
Our Core Values:
Our core values embody our team dynamic and our voice. We are rebellious, helpful, effective, playful, and curious. If you would like to work with us, you should be all of these things too:
- We don’t like to do things just because they’ve always been done that way. Be skeptical of the status quo and constantly improve.
- There is no such thing as “not my job”. Help out in any way you can, and don’t hesitate to reach out for help.
- We do things fast and smart. We automate if it makes sense. We skip the meeting if its not immediately beneficial to the mission.
- No Bad Vibes. Don’t take yourself too seriously, it’s only Animation.
- Have interests, pursue them ruthlessly. Share your weirdness.
Some important information:
While School of Motion does not discriminate on the basis of citizenship or national origin, we may only employ United States citizens and people who are authorized to work in the United States. As long as you meet that criteria, you can work from wherever you’re comfortable! We’re a fully remote team that primarily operates on Eastern Standard Time, and if you are local to Sarasota, Providence or Los Angeles you can come work with us in person.
$65,00 - $80,000, depending on experience
We have some great benefits:
- We cover 100% of your health insurance, as well as a portion of your spouse’s and children’s
- We have a flexible time-off policy — and work wherever you want, as long as you have an internet connection
- We offer a 401K plan after one year of employment
- We have profit-based bonus program
- We maintain a very casual work environment — just be you
- We’re proud of our exceptional giphy game
The position does require domestic travel at least once per year when we all get together for company retreats and industry conferences (they are fun!).
School of Motion is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
School of Motion is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at School of Motion are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
- Experience Level
- Preferred Skill Set
- Job Type